Santa at Castlecomer Discovery Park from Saturday 22nd November 2014.
Set in the former grounds of the Wandesforde Estate, Castlecomer Discovery Park comprises 80 acres of stunning natural woodland and lakes. This relatively ‘young’ park opened to the public in 2007 with the launch of the Coal Mining Museum to promote awareness of the coal mining heritage. Along with the beautiful oak timbered visitor centre and award winning cafe, a number of design craft studios are located in the former stable yard where many of Ireland’s leading jewellers and ceramicists make and sell their work.
This beautiful park continues to evolve and is actively developing a range of recreational, cultural and educational amenities and activities for visitors of all ages. This includes a Tree Top Adventure Walk, Leap of Faith & Climbing Wall; new woodland orienteering trails (1, 2, 3km); fly & bait fishing lakes; and an extensive education programme for both primary and secondary schools.
The growing appeal of the park is evident in the fact it has been nominated twice as ‘One of the Three Best Family Attractions in Leinster’ (Primary Times Readers 2012/2013)
The Castlecomer Discovery Park is a social/community enterprise and operates on a Non Profit basis. It is less than 20km from Kilkenny city on the N78, 80 mins from Dublin city. A nominal parking fee of €2 exists for full day parking. See www.discoverypark.ie
- Tree Top Adventure Walk - Discover your inner climber by completing the Tree Top Adventure. Walking high above the trees, ten metres above the ground, this 140 metre long course gives a bird's eye view of the park to those brave enough to venture up! (pre-booking is essential)
- Climbing Wall and Leap of Faith - Reach new heights by challenging yourself on our great outdoor climbing wall with several different levels for all to enjoy. Experience our daring 'Leap of Faith' - climb the 7 metre pole, balance on the platform and take a 'leap of faith' aiming for the target before being assisted back to ground level. (pre-booking is essential)
- Coal Mining Exhibtion - The Coal Mining Museum comprises a 45 minute tour through Castlecomer's coal mining past. The exhibition is an interactive multi-media display that takes the visitor on a journey through time. Starting with the formation of the coal 300 million years ago, it brings the visitor through more than 300 years of coal mining history to the closure of the mines in 1969.
- Woodland Trails - With over 80 acres of woodland and lakeside to explore Castlecomer Discovery Park is the perfect place to experience nature, get fit and enjoy the great outdoors.
- Fishing - The grounds of Castlecomer Discovery Park are centred around two rainbow trout fishing lakes. The lower lake is reserved for fly fishing and the upper lake for bait fishing.
There’s scenic picnic areas dotted around the park along with 3 permanent orienteering trails in the woods, 1km, 2km, and 3km in distance.
Multi-activity family friendly Park
It offers great value activities for all ages, varying from the Tree Top Walk Activities, with its 10 metre high walkway through the Sycamore trees to the 8 metre high Leap of Faith and the Climbing Wall so there’s excitement and challenge for all the family (from 7 years). There’s a charming (free) Timber Tumbles playground with a mini zip wire and climbing wall for smaller children. Family members from 4 years upward can enjoy a spot of boating, with Canadian canoes and pedal boats for hire, or try your hand at catching a Rainbow trout on the picturesque lakes within the woodland (rods for hire). You can even relax and unwind further in the estate yard with some Yoga, healing and meditation.
DPSM accredited Education Centre
(Discovery primary Maths & Science centre)
It offers a range of educational and recreational programmes suitable for Primary, Secondary and VEC schools. All are designed to cover topics within Geography, Science/Ecology, Maths, History, CSPE, LCVP and Transition Year. Learning takes place in our 80 acre woodland, education rooms and coal mining museum.
Home to Kilkenny’s finest Craft Makers
Many of the makers are graduates from the Crafts Council of Ireland training courses and range from, from potters, jewellers, stone masons, painters, and interior designers. Visit their beautiful stone workshops based in the former stable yard to see how they design and craft their beautiful work. Chances are you’ll find a novel and beautiful gift, or try your hand on the throwing wheel and make your own piece. You may even leave inspired to return for a ceramics or mosaic workshop!
Choose from handmade pottery, up-cycled furniture and accessories, quirky and precious jewellery from the resident goldsmiths & jewellers and a wide range of other beautiful, covetable items.
- Playground - Come play in our charming timber tumbles playground, mini zip wire and climbing wall.
- Jarrow Café - relax with a coffee, snack or light lunch at the award winning 'Bridgestone' café.
- Boating - Visitors to Castlecomer Discovery Park can enjoy NEW water based activities on 1 of our 2 picturesque lakes, as part of the ongoing development of the park! Located in our stunning natural woodland setting and surrounded by a variety of magnificent trees the introduction of paddle boats and Canadian canoes has been going down a treat with visiting families and friends. Visitors now have another way to soak up the atmosphere at the park: they can sit back and relax while taking in the beautiful scenery of the surrounding woodland, and admire the backdrop of the beautifully recently restored 17th ct stone bridge. This hugely enjoyable experience is an ideal family activity for parents and children - and even an opportunity to allow them in the driving seat! So whether it's a fast-paced or leisurely cruise around the lake you're looking for, there's plenty of room for everybody at Castlecomer Discovery Park, because after all we are 'Yours to enjoy'.
This beautiful park continues to evolve and is actively developing a range of exciting recreational, cultural and educational activities for visitors of all ages. We look forward to welcoming you to the park!
- Check website for any changes to prices.
- €2 Parking Charge per car per day (towards the upkeep of the Park).
Boating (for 2014):
- Boating open from 12 - 4pm on weekends
- Paddle boats & Canadian Canoes
- €10/30 mins per paddle boat (sits up to 5)
- €10/30 mins per canoe (sits 3 people)
- Fishing will continue on one lake only.
- Booking is required for boating activities, Terms & Conditions apply
Footprints In Coal:
- €7 Adult
- €6 Student/OAP
- €5 Child
- €20 (2 Adults and 2 Children) each additional child €2
- Child U-4 FREE
Tree Top Walk:
- €12.50 per person, with a 10% discount for two adults and two children.
Climbing Wall and Leap of Faith:
All three Adventure Activities:
- €15 per rod for four hours fishing.
Click on the link for more information on opening times: http://www.discoverypark.ie/contact/
Starting Saturday 22nd November 2014 - Book Now
Santa’s enchanting woodland estate is hidden away in the small town of Castlecomer, county Kilkenny. Share an experience you will never forget in our unique 17th century estate yard:
On arrival adults can enjoy a complimentary mulled wine/beverage, while children (and adults!) are entertained by our friendly Head Elf playing lots of fun games in the charming Oak-beamed visitor centre.
Guided by Santa’s merry helpers visit Mrs Claus in her old stone Bell House to hear about the new elf village, before meeting our exceptionally jolly Santa in his cosy cabin where children get a special gift.
Then for some extra magic and real Christmas wonder take the Christmas train to discover the elves’ new village and their fantastic colourful huts deep in our 80 acre natural woodland, and keep an eye out for the colourful toadstool mushroom houses. As the train passes over the 17th century stone bridge, lakes and streams, and around the giant Christmas tree, make a wish before setting off to see the elves’ special secret tree house. You and your family will be sure to enjoy a magical, fun-filled journey through elf and fairy land at Castlecomer Discovery Park this Christmas!
- Please note: the tour will last approximately 60 minutes excluding the outdoor elements, train experience lasts approx. 25 minutes and is included in price.
- Tours cost €15 per child, and €10 per adult. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your time slot and present your booking confirmation at reception.
- The visit to the Bell House is a 1 minute walk from the Visitor Centre so please dress appropriately for the weather, including suitable footwear.
- Don’t forget to bring your camera!